Monday, October 19, 2009

Survived Pre-natal class

Just wanted to say that we survived the prenatal class on 'stages of labour'.

Most of the videos were animated so I think that helped M a lot. There were a few uneasy moments I think for him including when they talked about the mucous plug, but I was very proud of him. After some real videos of babies coming out (they really weren't as graphic as I thought/hoped) M was still sitting and looked okay.

We talked about breathing techniques etc. and I think sadly it only has made me worried more so about painful contractions. We had a clothespin that we had to put on our ear to make it really hurt and in the first scenario look at the clock for 30 seconds and then in the second watch a video of an ocean with music in the background for 30 seconds. The point of this was to show how having a focal point can help with pain management. Well after I put the clothespin on my ear it really hurt. So I cheated.... I moved it down so it hurt a bit less. This is when I realized I suck when it comes to pain and I won't be able just to make the contractions hurt less... I guess it just made me realize the scariness of not knowing how much pain there actually will be till I'm there.

Also, good prank by the teacher was that we had circular name tags still from last week and as she was talking about dialation she goes "now I wonder if there is anything that I can use to show what 10cm is like... oh I know... your name tags- they are measured to be exactly 10cm"

I've heard of wearing your heart on your sleeve... but wearing your cervix? No thanks... that is kinda gross haha. Needless to say I will never look at our name tags the same way again, now I just see a bunch of cervixs with names written on them.

This week is a bit more in depth on labour including medications (i.e. laughing gas vs. epidural)episotomies, vacuums, and c-sections so lets hope M does as well as he did last week!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Mark not fainting!!

    ...there's always epidurals for the pain? If that helps at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing super hard at wearing your cervix!

    ReplyDelete