Monday, July 20, 2009

8 Weeks and counting...

Well now isn't this just cute....
Development
Now about onehalf of an inch / 1.25 centimetres long, the size of a lentil. the embryo has distinct, slightly webbed fingers and toes. It's a jumping bean, moving in fits and starts. The liver is churning out large amounts of red blood cells until the bone marrow forms and takes over this role. The eighth week marks the beginning of a very busy developmental stage. Between now and 20 weeks, your baby will be growing rapidly, and body parts that formed in the first few weeks of life (such as the heart and brain) will become more specialised and complicated. Right now, the teeth and palate are forming, while the ears continue to develop. The fetus' skin is paper thin, and veins are clearly visible. Its heart is now beating at a whopping 150 beats per minute (twice as fast as your own)

As for me this week has been pretty uneventful. I have now entered the world of an acidic stomach which I think I would choose feeling sick over feeling like my insides our disinegrating haha. Oh well, I really can't complain. I still have the odd bought of nausea but surely not as bad as other women get. I am not sleeping well these past couple of weeks though. Thus I had a PB and J sandwich at 6am (and for those of you that know me, you know how hard it is to make me eat breakfast ever since I was a kid)

Our ultrasound is in two days... oh my goodness. As said previously I am both very nervous and excited for it.

Why I'm Nervous

- What if I get there and there has been no development?

- What if I get there and there is no heart beat?

- What if they can just tell something is wrong?

I guess part of the nervousness stems from the fact that a) I'm new to all of this b) It still seems so unreal to me c) Even though I have a variety of symptoms none are over powering (well maybe besides the bloating haha) d) I guess my biggest fear is since it took us sooo long to get where we are, what if we lose it? Would we have to wait that long again before even getting a second chance?

Let's try and get me a bit more optimistic...

Why I'm excited

- I get to see a live living baby inside of me

- I'll get to see a heartbeating away

- I might be able to see it move sporadically

- It will make everything so much more real not only to me, but especially to M

- It will give me a bit more piece of mind (you know verification that I actually have something inside of me)

- Rumour has it chances of miscarriage drop to less than 2.5% if you can see a heartbeat

- We plan to tell extended family later this week if all goes well

- I am going to celebrate by buying a BellaBand (its like a fake undershirt that goes over the top of your pants so you don't have to do them up-- or use an elastic hair band to keep them somewhat done up as I am doing now haha)

- I am also going to confidently try on my sisters old mat clothes and possible have comfy shorts to wear if they fit

- I think it will be one of those 'magical- you will never forget this day for the rest of your life' moments once we see John A's little heart beating away

So as you can see there are really a lot more excited emotions I am feeling over the nervous ones. I guess the nervous ones stem from not wanting to be let down by all of the excited reasons for this ultrasound. I am trying just to stay positive but at the same time I would be a fool not going into everything realistically. It's a terrible balance to have to do. I will definitely keep you posted as to how it goes. The ultrasound is at 1:30 on Tuesday so we should be back late afternoon. I can't believe it has already been 4 weeks and 1 day since we told our families that we are going to have a baby. Time is already flying and that is quite allright with me right now.

Please pass good healthy baby vibes this way! And thank you for reading through my thought processes... it is appreciated.


1 comment:

  1. CRAP! I'm in London!!! And you're on your way to London! (unless your ultrasound isn't here anymore??). I'm hoping you're going for it in Chatham instead...'cause I have to work at 3, so I have to leave London like, within the next half hour!

    So excited and nervous for you!!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes (you better post on here like, as soon as you get home...I'll be checking when I get home from work tonight. You have until 8:04pm! haha)

    ReplyDelete