Friday, July 24, 2009

"I had trouble conceiving... not trouble carrying"

This is basically my new mantra... there are just so many worries, and I think they only get stronger when you have trouble conceiving. I seriously don't think I would be as paranoid if we got pregnant right off. I would still have been naive. This is a story about my latest panics...

Due to the fact my luteal phases were always shorter than normal (average of 9-10 days compared to the usual 14 days) after our IUI the nurse prescribed me Progesterone to take. I definitely think it helped with getting pregnant since the egg wouldn't have been able to implant with my luteal phase the way it was.

After my ultrasound on Tuesday I asked the ultrasound technician about getting more progesterone and she said usually at this point that the main Doctor says to just take what is left and not worry about anymore but if I wanted to make sure ask the nurses station. When I asked the nurses station they said the exact same thing.

Okay. I can handle that. I was almost a little excited to not have a bed time curfew anymore.

Oh crap. Wednesday night was my last one.

Bring on the panic attack.

I guess the progesterone was my safety net. I know that the people at the fertility clinic know a lot better than I do as to how long to take things. But I guess I figured I had a few more left at home. I suddenly started to panic what if I still need it? The IUI nurse told us at the time to continue taking them until 10 weeks. So why the sudden change?

M being the great husband he is saw my worry and was a bit worried himself as well so he called the clinic again yesterday to ask basically the same question. This time they asked the nurse who did my IUI and they said they would phone in a prescription to Shoppers for 2 more weeks worth. Although they did say that I didn't need to take them, but 'just in case'. I guess working there they are used to paranoid patients, and it is nice to see that they do try to calm us down.

I read on a website from two different people that doctors tell them they can get off of progesterone after a strong heartbeat is found... so I guess that is good news then right?

Well now I have enough progesterone to take me to 10.5 weeks. I know I will be just as worried when I am done them then but at least I will have my other ultrasound and bloodwork done at 11 weeks and 2 days so that should ease my mind. And another bonus is not having to take the progesterone at Disney... especially on the car ride there since we plan to drive through most of the night.

I am calmed down again for now (well as much as I can be) I am thinking the next couple of weeks should go by pretty fast as well which might help with my anxiety.

I have my first appointment with my family doctor- who I think delivers(?) this coming Thursday (30 July). I know she will be happy to hear the news since she is the one without question referred me to the specialist and seems genuinly hoping we got pregnant last time I saw her for a physical. I also am 90% sure she is also trying for a baby so it kind of makes it a more bonding experience in a weird way.

Then the week after that is when I stop the progesterone then the week after that is the ultrasound then a week after that is Disney for 2 weeks then bam school starts right back up! I am excited for August to rush by since I will be entering my second trimester during it! Words cannot even explain how excited I am for it!

Okay- I'm not sure the entire reason for this post I just needed to get it off my chance, and it is a good way to restate my mantra the whole time while writing about my worries.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Disney AND a baby?

    Jeez, way to rub it in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry!
    If it helps at all I won't be able to go on a lot of rides! haha But you are right... I am spoiled this year!

    ReplyDelete