Wow! What a whirlwind of a week we had! But I must say it has been the best week of my life so far- and I'm starting to think that I am going to keep having 'best weeks'
27 February
- Alex was born! Still seems surreal that this little man came out of me.
- This day was just filled with visitors and gifts/flowers
Sunday
- It was my birthday! It didn't seem much like a birthday in the sense I was still in the hospital, only slept 2 hours in 48 hours and still tender from stitches. However, my mum and dad did bring in a cake for me to the hospital- M got me some very thoughtful birthday presents (clothes that would fit me now with my pudge- clothes to eventually fit into- and a giftcard to buy new clothes) I thought it was really sweet that he thought of these three scenarios... The hospital food menu thing also had a message saying 'Happy Birthday' which was rather fun
-Also watched the Olympics Men's hockey game and closing ceremonies
Monday
- I was pretty exhausted in the fact that Alex had terrible gas all night- might have gotten 2 hours in total that night (he is lucky he is so cute)
- Alex's blood was taken and it was really hard to watch- they prick the foot and then keep squeezing it until they get all the blood they need- he was also not a fan of this
- Alex passed his hearing test and we were discharged with him a tiny bit jaundice and weighing 7lbs 2oz from his birth weight of 7lbs 13oz (which is basically supposed to happen that the weight goes down the first week or two)
- Coming home was a really neat feeling
Tuesday
- Alex's first night was not a bad one- only had to get up a few times- however, he refused his craddle and slept on top of one of us the whole night instead
- Had a bit of a breastfeeding meltdown- just felt like I wasn't doing it right- after some reading I was able to perfect the latch and since then has been going really well
- M was able to stay home this day so we spent the day adapting to being 'mum' and 'dad'
Wednesday
- M had to go back to work :(
- My mum came to help around the house and get snuggles
- Alex was starting on Tuesday to get some 'brick dust' in his urine which was a bit worrying but assured by the health nurse that it could be a few minor things and just tell the doctor about it the next day at our appt.
Thursday
- This is the day I became a 'mum'
- We had the doctor appt in the morning and it was crazy busy we waited for about an hour or more in the waiting room but Alex was awesome and managed to stay asleep even though it was around feeding time
- Meeting with the doctor she said everything looked good and also referred to me as a 'legend' and the talk and awe of the seasoned nurses on the labour floor with how well I handled my first birth- that was really nice to hear
- However, she wanted us to check out Alex's billirubin level at the hospital right away for his jaundice- especially due to the 'brick dust' which can mean the levels are high-ish
- I called Mark at work because we were supposed to meet and show off Alex at lunch- I cried a lot explaining we had to go to the hospital not sure what was going to happen (aka would they keep both Alex and I overnight so he could get treated)
- After waiting 1.5 hours and using the 3 out of 4 diapers due to poops (with no wipes) *we kinda sucked at packing a diaper bag- although a lot of this was unplanned* AND having to nurse in public for the first time ever we got his blood taken- I cried again because he was so upset about this for obvious reasons. After another 30 minutes we were told his levels were up a bit but we could go home and just watch for any other signs of the jaundice getting worse.
- On a good note- wear it usually takes 10-14 days to get back up to the birthweight Alex was back up at his in 5 days :D That was reassuring!!!
Friday
- Alex's jaundice was already looking better so the other day must have been when he peaked and he was now on the decline
- His cord fell off and Alex became the owner of a bellybutton! A very cute one at that!- It was my first day by myself with him and it was just perfect. It was all so calm we just hung out together- snuggled- and listened to music. It was reallly nice!
Saturday
- We went to my parents house to visit and introduce Alex to my brother and his wife and one of my aunts. Of course they loved him.
- So we did the family thing the whole day although did notice his one eye was goopy and kept sealing itself shut
- Finally around 8pm we decided that we would go to the hospital down the street to get it checked out. After 2.5 hours there and a snarky doctor that I was just furious with we were told that he had an eye infection (duh) and given a perscription and told to expect a call from the eye specialist they called from there- to book an appt for this week.
- We get the antibiotics and he takes them like a man (they are like a thick eye drop- it looks gross)
Conclusion
So all in all it was a good week- minus the trips to the hospitals. But in the end he is still healthy- super happy- very calm- and a very much loved little man. I can't stop staring at him and my love just grows with each second that passes by. I couldn't ask for a better miracle in this life-time. I am so thankful and he was definitely worth the lonnnnnng wait to have him here with us.
Also wanted to add that my love for M has grown more than I ever known possible seeing him with our son. He is just the most amazing husband and father. I love him to pieces.
Ooh I am so glad he is finally here! He is so adorable and I'm so glad to see all is well! Many many good times ahead and please keep posting pics of your adorable little man!
ReplyDeleteWhy were you furious with the dr??
ReplyDeleteThanks Marta! I'm so glad to hear from you :)
ReplyDeleteOh I was mad at the doctor because he was very sarcastic and all "Well I don't know what to do with 7 day olds" ... like this is late at night- you are dealing with new parents who are sleep deprived and worried about their sick baby... don't be a jerk! oi vey he was just very unprofessional in our opinion.. luckily his diagnosis and prescription came from the eye specialist and not directly from the ER doctor or else I would have disregarded it all... haha