Wednesday, March 3, 2010

He's HERE!





After 79 posts on this blog of not knowing if we would ever conceive- and all of the worries that pregnancy comes with I am SO pleased to announce the safe arrival of Alexander Ivan George! Coming into the world on 27 February weighing in at 7lbs 13oz and 21.5 inches long.


Here is the Birth Story:



Well as many of you know I was (im)patiently waiting for our little one to arrive. At my doctor’s appt on the 25th I was told I was 3cm and she did a S&S as well but nothing came from it at all. So, on Friday the 26th I was determined to try everything to get labour going. Dh and I made the recipe for Eggplant Parmigiana I heard about which ‘guarantees’ labour within 48 hours- it was delicious and I actually started getting crampy shortly after eating it. I never experienced any bh or false contractions before so kinda wrote the cramps off of my stomach not liking eggplant ;) After dinner I cleaned the house, DH and I had some lovin’ then I had a hot bath. I was still feeling crampy when I went to bed but it was just cramps that stayed- they never came and went. I woke up around 2:30 still thinking I was gassy and then decided to get up and walk around the house and have some tea at 3:30am. I went to the bathroom first and thought there was an extra trickle but wrote it off as I was subconsciously trying to make myself pee to think it could be my water (but just in case I put a pad on) Out of curiosity I decided to do contraction master for my cramps to see if there was any pattern – and there was! Around 4am I no longer had to guess if it was contractions or gas since my water broke! I called for DH to come down and couldn’t stop laughing while trying to tell DH I was in labour because the water gushes felt so funny.



We got to the hospital at 4:30am and got checked and was already at 5cm! The contractions started to pick up and the worse part was the pressure I was feeling. I was sick a couple of times and they finally put me in the birthing room. I went in the tub for a bit but found it really didn’t help as much as I thought it would- but it did help pass the time by changing the scenery. I decided to get out of the tub after I was sick inside of it haha.



Back at the birthing room I was checked again and just had the lip left. The nurse couldn’t believe how calm I was during contractions (as in not making a single noise) that she brought in another nurse to check me to make sure she was right in how far along I was because ‘no first timer should be this calm at this point’. Next thing I knew it was time for pushing! Throughout the pushing the nurses kept commenting to one another about how ridiculously in control I was – which in turn made me feel even more in control. They even commented that I should be the lady in the birthing videos of ‘how to’ but not the ones for high school girls because they would get the wrong impression :) Alex had a hard time coming around the pelvic bone but eventually did. My doctor was so calm she had me super calm (enough to pipe in conversations about the Olympics and funny names between pushing) and Alex was also super calm during everything. At the end of the pushing when the shoulders were coming out I remember saying “Oh my gosh that feels amazing!” haha It was such a relief. Next thing we know little Alex is out in the world. He decided to join us by posing with his hand next to his head so sadly I tore a lot and got a lot of stitches. Even though I did the whole labour naturally and under control- the stitches part I was about to lose it- it didn’t help they forgot to freeze me for the first few patches… oi vey!



All in all the labour was only 7 hours long with the pushing being 1.5 hours of that. Things went super fast and the whole experience was better than I could ever imagine! Alex is super well behaved and calm and only cries if hungry or gassy. He is also doing great at this breastfeeding thing which is awesome! We are soooo in love and enthralled with our little man.




Thanks for joining me on this journey! I am looking forward to continuing with news on Alex on this blog!




2 comments:

  1. Been waiting for this post! (which is funny, because I really could have just asked you, but I don't want to bug cause I know you're probably really busy and such haha).

    Glad to hear it was pretty quick and that you were a total ROCKSTAR! Natural as in...no epidural!? You're nuts!

    Sucks about the tearing, but so awesome that you were such a badass!

    I bet your terrible migraines helped you build up your pain tolerance so you could tough out labour (or at least that's the "everything happens for a reason" way to look at things! haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously! I'm sure your migraines helped with this.

    He is absolutely gorgeous. I love love love him to bits and can't wait to meet him!

    Sooo happy to hear everything went well!

    Love you! <3

    ReplyDelete