Monday, April 6, 2009

I think I might be onto something...

I am in a career I really don't want to do the rest of my life. I have always hated having a boss or someone 'higher' than me in any way. I hate feeling time constraints and always worrying about pleasing other people compared to just making myself happy. I am only working part-time if that right now. School is finished as I know it. I need something to do to keep me sane and busy and feeling important in life.

I think I realized what I am going to do.

I am going to start making baby blankets (3 different sizes); cloth diapers with pocket inserts; and bibs.

Why? Why not?
Well really it just makes sense, I have my own sewing machine which I would love to really get more into than I have been since I got it for Christmas a couple of years ago. After making some pillows a few weeks ago it really opened my eyes to how fun sewing actually is. I not only will be able to make homemade gifts for friends and family, but I know there are other people out there that might actually be interested in such things. I am on boards a lot at babycenter.com for women trying to conceive/trouble trying to conceive/pregnant women/women with children .... the topic of cloth diapers and other homemade items is a huge topic that is getting a lot of support now.

Why Baby Stuff?
I know this answer is obvious from my emotional stand point to fill some kind of void or something. But really, there are always babies, there will always be babies, there will always be a need for these things. Also, all of these things both M and I want to do/use on our own so if nothing else it will only help us and can be easy gift ideas for family and friends which seem to always be pregnant.

Why Blankets?
Frankly you can never have enough baby blankets. Especially hypo-allergenic ones such as the type I would like to make. Heck if I could even find organic fabric someday which I could afford I would pee myself and make strictly only that. Also, what a nice thought to personalize blankets, give bright blankets and homemade blankets as a gift. I would like to make sets of 3 blankets where one is large enough to cover a full car seat/carrier, one is the size of a recieving blanket, and the last a smaller face-cloth like size.

Why Cloth Diapers?
M and I are surprisingly (well more so surprising that I am) very eco-friendly and have had many talks about how cloth diapers are the way we want to do things. (Did you know that it can take up to 500 years for plastic diapers to decompose?) Not only that but because of this they are gaining in popularity. Do you know where to buy any? Exactly... And to buy them online is uber expensive. Seriously. Look it up. Who wouldn't want to buy cloth diapers for a lot cheaper, from somewhere a lot closer to home? So not only would it be benefitting us, and others, it would have pretty well no impact on the environment which is huge these days.

Why Bibs?
Bibs once again can be ridicuously expensive. Why not have once again, organic and hypoallergenic materials which are good for the child and still washable? Make them the right size so they are not super tiny where they are not affective yet not so big that they gap around the neck and the child still gets messy.

Future Endeauvors
I would like to ultimately make homemade-safe products as well such as wetwipes and baby powder. Again, this is something I would like to do for our own children mainly. However, there may be something for others as well. Have you ever read the ingredient listings on such things? It is frightening what you put on a child's body with no intention of harming. Not sure? Look up: "the disappearing male". It was a TV special about how less males are being born due to new chemicals being used in such things as baby wipes which is literally getting rid of the birth of
boys.

I know this sounds like a lot. I have a heck of a lot of stuff to practice before I'm even remotely ready to try to do this 'professionally' if you will, but I am really excited about this. This may be a short term thing, but I really hope it will be a long term thing. I think this might be the perfect thing for me. Also, I know if by chance I need help (especially at the beginning) or if perhaps there is more to do than I can handle, my mum the expert sewer will be more than happy to help. She was impressed when I mentioned this idea to her, and I know she (and my dad for that matter) always said we should work on something together since we are both 'part-timers'...

Thanks for letting me get this out of my head and into writing.... I am just too excited, I can't stop thinking about this. I just want to go out and buy materials to at least make some blankets which will be a good 'getting into perfect practice' when it comes to sewing since they are relatively easy to make, and it will make me practice and perfect sewing straight lines and getting used to manipulating the machine.

Have a good one my friends!

3 comments:

  1. I think this is SUCH a great idea!!! Like, really really. I told June about it and she is on board with the thinking it's a great idea too!

    I can't wait to see Made with Love by Kimseh stuff. I'll buy it for all my peeps.

    I'll even be your first order.
    Right now.

    My cousin's having a behbeh boy in June.
    I would likeeeeeeee some bibs..... annnnnnnd a blanket. The mid-size. Please and thank you.

    What kinda prices are you gonna charge?


    PS that's a for real order. Get working missus! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU eco friendly!? *lol* That is a surprize, you're right...I remember on Ezra street, you guys like, didn't even recycle cans or boxes at all :P haha

    I love this! I'm on board to help out with any marketing or anything else I can help with. I've actually already got several ideas for marketing your soon-to-be-company!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can market your overseas branch!

    ReplyDelete