Monday, January 25, 2010

35 Week and 5 Days Appointment

Well I got through the appointment I was dreading since Day 1.
You will understand when you get there...

First:
-I peed in a cup
- I am getting more successful at aim which made me happy

Second:
- I was brought to the room and the receptionist asked if I needed my bottoms off
- I told her we were doing my Strep B test today so I would
- She passed me a sheet and said allright then because she wasn't sure when they did the test
- I told her I hoped the test was today or else it might be awkward for her to come in and me bottomless otherwise...
- She had a good laugh about the thought of that

Third:
- I take off said pantaloons

Fourth:
- A new person walks in- a lady probably around my age who apparently is a student- doctor type thing following my Dr. around so she did most of the stuff for today. She seemed pretty cool and easy to talk to.

Fifth:
- Talked about anything new going on- told her about my cold- some aches here and there- I never have anything to talk about in that aspect which I guess is a good thing

Sixth:
- Did the blood pressure which the girl did twice because I am normally on the low end of the normal- still was- it just surprised her I guess how low I normally am
- She did measurements and the fundal height was 36.5 which is great
- She listened to the baby's heartbeat first with the stethascope (which is neat that you don't need anything special to hear it anymore)
- She then did the heart beat with the doppler so I could hear it too and she seemed almost more excited then I was to hear it which was rather cute to see.... heartrate was 130
- We then did the weigh-in which I tried to do as lady like as possible since I still had a sheet wrapped around me.. I lost a pound so that is good for me since it makes up for last weigh in (in my head at least)

Seventh:
- She went to get my doctor for the strep B test
- Doctor and her came back and the dr. was pitying me for having a cold and apparently knew not to trust me when I say I feel fine breathing wise and checked my lungs anyways... this is so nice to see that the doctor doesn't take my word for all things since she is so thorough and knows I have asthma and asthma plus cold plus small lung capacity due to huge uterus can't be a good mix- but everything turned out well

Eigbth:
- My doctor had me lay back down to check baby's position and said that the girl mentioned it was easy to tell where the baby was because I am so skinny (oh I miss hearing those words)
- She lifted up my shirt and laughed and was like "Yup, you definitely don't have to touch you to figure out where the baby was" (Very often the baby's back is sticking out and makes me hilariously lop-sided)

Ninth:
- My doctor went through the Strep B test speech again about what it is- why they test- and what happens if you test positive...
- I asked her if I test positive if I would be hooked up to IV for the antibiotics during labour- she said yes so I mentioned that M is a bit sensitive with needles so I am trying to prepare him... we also had a bit of a chuckle at his expense and I was promised he would get a chair in the room

Tenth:
- The dreaded Step B test- with the student doctor also getting the play by play of how to do it
- Swab in the vagina
- Swab in the rectum
- There goes any dignity I had left.... at least it is done now though...

Eleventh:
- It was time to head out
- The doctor made a comment that she will see me at my next appt in two weeks unless she sees me sooner- which I hope is a hint of some sort
- I got my medical papers back they write on for my hospital tour this week and as I read it
I saw I had some protein in my urine.... Why does this suck?

1. Protein in urine during pregnancy can be a sign of bad things that could develop such as pre-ecampslya which may result in being induced early in
order to get the baby out
2. It means my kidneys aren't breaking down the protein in my body as they
should be
3. It means I will probably test positive for the Strep B test... so boo-urns for that

- But the doctor never mentioned they found protein nor did she mind I wasn't going to see her for 2 weeks so I will try not to concern myself with anything- but I will have to look out for other symptoms now just incase.

Things to come:
27 Jan: Hospital tour/pre-registration
28 Jan: Dentist appointment
8 Feb: Next doctors appointment (at almost 38 weeks)

No comments:

Post a Comment